Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Slightly Different Kind Of Simplicity

Today's post will be about a slightly different kind of simplicity...one for which there will be no pictures.  ~ For those that love pictures there will be a number of them in the next few days, as I finish cleaning out my craft room.  I'll post them all together as soon as I'm done. ~ 
Anyway...today's post will be about simplicity in social media.  
I had already given this subject some thought when I quite by chance...my brother sending me an invitation...got involved in Klout.  I made the mistake of signing up for it.  The problem is I have a very competitive personality.  When I play a game I play to win and for me social media can become a game.  Klout is the ultimate in game playing in social media.  So just at a point when I was hoping to minimalize my involvement in it, I was suddenly getting pulled into greatly expanding it.  That lasted about a week.  I even went so far as to put the app on my phone so I could keep track of my number on a constant basis (I told you I was a little crazy about this kind of thing).  The good news is that I caught myself before I really went over the edge, disconnected from it, and removed the app.  
I've also decided that I need to keep my social media involvement down to only Twitter and Facebook.  I don't count blogging as social media although I'm sure there are those that would disagree....their problem not mine.
For the last few years I have gone on a Facebook vacation for a week, which I haven't done this year...yet.  I'll know when the time is right.
But for now, apart from leaving Klout, I've simplified by removing the other three social media outlets I had been using...and I'm amazed at how much I like the change.  It's really nice not having people know where you are, and what you're doing, every hour of every day.
I wonder if Pinterest counts as a social media outlet??   

No comments:

Post a Comment